Of the many things I don’t miss about living in the US, Thanksgiving is one of the tops on my list. My dad’s a hunter and this is deer season so Thanksgiving for me is always tied to the image of gutted deers hanging in the garage, blood on the floor, entrails nearby. Needless to say, I don’t try and repeat those memories over here in Germany.
That said, the idea of spending some time reflecting on all the good things in your life and thanking some obscure deity for them is a concept I can totally get behind. So here goes nothing — five things I’m super thankful for this year:
1. Having a job that (most of the time) lets me work from wherever whenever so that I can (like today), take the day off to hang out with my favorite female or (like next month) rent a cabin in the woods and hide out from life without going broke.
2. Finally discovering who I am and what I want out of life. As the old saying goes, “Everything you could ever want or be you already have and are” … I’m especially excited by the power that realization brings.
3. Living in Europe, with the means to travel, which has led to too much fun (partying with rock stars and splurging on lingerie in Denmark was the highlight).
4. That my ex owned up and came back to Germany to co-parent his kid. I know this sounds strange considering the dumptruck of manure he’s constantly pouring on me, but I’ve grown a lot from having him back in my life, namely the confidence to stand up for myself but also the knowledge that I can and do do nearly everything on my own and I’m pretty good at that. Also thankful because the Diva needs a Daddy and she’s been in love with him from day one so his year-long absence was not ideal. And yeah, the ability to get drunk with friends every so often while she crashes at his place is kind of nice.
5. The way that life has brought all the right people into my life at exactly the right time. There’s more to this story than I want to bring up here, but let’s just say I feel very *blessed* (hate that word) by some of the random strangers-turned-friends who’ve been instrumental in making sure my life is awesome.
All that said, I think my lesson learned for this year is my new life motto: if you want something, ask for it. It’ll happen if it’s supposed to.
So what are you thankful for this year?