I was just reading about the Liebster Award over at No Apathy Allowed and totally about to have at it when Barb Taub nominated me for one, too. So exciting! I’ve never won anything in my life so the prize of getting to talk all about myself is going to result in the closest thing to an Academy Award speech I’ve ever written. Lucky you, getting to read all about me!
Here’s how it works:
- Share 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer 11 questions given by the person who nominated you
- Nominate new bloggers to pass on the fun
- Write 11 questions for those bloggers to answer
Instead of random facts, I’m going to take on both Mandy’s and Barb’s questions. Here goes nothing:
- What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world? Class inequality.
- What’s something you know you do differently than most people? Most people? Or most Americans? Or most Germans? I definitely parent differently than most Amis. My sister calls it “extra-casual European parenting” and it drives her – and most other Amis I know – insane. I eat differently (diet-wise, not style-wise) than most Germans. Sausages and potato salad both gross me out.
- If you could wake up tomorrow speaking any language you wanted, which one would it be and why? Amaraic because although French knowledge would get me farther as a traveler, this is fantasy land and I always wanted to learn Amaraic but was too lazy to bother.
- What’s the one thing you definitely could not travel without? Dramamine and my running shoes.
- When was the last time you did something that scared you? I scare myself every day and the older I get, the easier that is to do. I hear this comes from having kids, that you get more cautious, but since I want my kid to have no fear or boundaries activity-wise, I suck it up. That twirly slide at the water park? Scares the piss out of me and diva both but we laugh like hell on it together. That airplane going 700 miles an hour 32,000 feet above the earth? Ditto.
- What’s your favorite self-indulgence? The honey-salt scrub at my sauna.
- What is the strangest thing you’ve eaten while traveling? I’m a very conservative eater but my friend was just on tv with her toddler eating moths and worms and I almost vomited watching it.
- What’s the most embarrassing story you’re willing to tell online? Read this blog. My life is all embarrassment all the time and I’m not afraid to talk about it. But maybe my sister will step in and remind me of something stupid I did ages ago that I still haven’t written about. Like the time I was 15 and had to “babysit” two 12-year-old jerks while they swam in my aunt’s pool and I stood at the edge screaming at them for like 10 minutes before I realized my bikini top had fallen off and that was why they were laughing instead of listening to me.
- What’s your favorite way to stay fit? Duh – running! Though I have fallen in love with Body Pump, bad music and all because my arms… oh they look nice pumping iron.
- What would your super power be? To be able to get anywhere in the world at the speed of light without having to step on an airplane.
- How old would you be if you didn’t actually know your age? Twelve. I’m that mature.
Are you still here? Good, because here’s the next bit of questions. I’ll be brief, though. Promise.
- What was your first car? A metallic navy blue Pontiac 6000 sedan with a dented right fender (distracted by his charming smile in my headlights, I turned into the Jeep of a boy I liked) that, until the car was sold, also contained a silver cartoon drawing of a curly-headed dude smoking dope (drawn by friend of said boy to distract my parents from noticing the dent; it didn’t work).
- What was your last brush with the law? Pleading the Fifth.
- Star Wars or Star Trek? Spaceballs.
- Dr. Who or Dr. Laura? Dr. Zhivago.
- Worst movie ever? All of them. For real, I hate movies. But none incite my wrath more than the horror shows that are children’s movies these days. Why.the.fuck do all kids’ movies have plots that include mom or dad dying or disappearing or someone being fucking evil or scary? The only movie I let the Diva watch now is Madagascar because even fucking Sesame Street decided to have a hurricane come and blow Big Birds’ nest away followed by an episode in which his teddy just fucking vanishes. Hello?!! Movies are supposed to be “Mummy’s got a headache” time not oh fuck where are the tissues and what’s the line I’m feeding this toddler on death again because I don’t believe in heaven? All I want is a bath in peace and suddenly Curious George is being shipped off to Timbuktu by the man in the yellow hat? No thank you.
- Who would you like to have a conversation with at a cocktail party? Before the cocktails have kicked in = no one. After = anyone. A guy with a nice belly. Say, Sergio Ramos? Oh wait, you said conversation, right? Um, whoever.
- Best guilty pleasure ever? There is no guilt in my pleasure.
- Who would play you in the movie? Looks-wise I always get Claire Danes or Gwyneth Paltrow but awesome-ness-wise it’d be all Rashida Jones-style. Though Betty White does have my vulgarity down pat.
- What is something people don’t know about you? I’m not telling.
- What is the one thing you can’t live without? Laughter. My midwife said having a kid will make you laugh belly laughs at least once a day and you know what? I did and I do.
- As a child (or now!), what did you want to be when you grew up? Me. I still do.
And the nominees are… anyone who wants to give it a shot.
Here’s your pop quiz, fellow Liebsters:
- What TV game show, past or present, would you most like to appear on/kick ass at?
- If you could wake up anywhere tomorrow, where would it be?
- What one thing would you change about yourself if you could?
- What’s your mantra?
- What gets you the most excited?
- If you never had to work again, how would you spend your days?
- Big Bird or Snuffalupagas?
- What one article of clothing can you not live without?
- Best pick-up line you’ve ever heard or used?
- What’s your go-to book?
- What’s one thing you’re sad or ashamed that you can’t do?